British Artillery Armory
The Kentish Light Artillery was chartered as a militia unit by the Rhode Island General Assembly in 1797. The name was changed to the Kentish Artillery in 1804. The unit was called up for active duty in the War of 1812, but disbanded afterward. Its charter was revived in 1853, and an armory was built in 1854 in the village of Apponaug. Three companies of troops were formed from its members during the Civil War. After the old armory burned in 1910, a new armory was built in 1912. It was leased to the city of Warwick, Rhode Island in 1942, and is currently occupied by the Warwick Museum of Art.